.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: New Delhi, Delhi, India

Saturday, October 29, 2005

If wishes were horses...



When I first heard of Chetan Bhagat’s book on IIT hostels, Five Point Something, I was not very keen to read. I thought it would be a campus story. A week back I got to read two of his books for free. A generous friend of mine lent Five Point… and One Night @ Call Centre to me. Anyone who lends book to me has a big heart because I never lend book to anyone. I used to put a piece of paper on the wall of my hostel room in Cotton College and it read “I do not lend books and magazines.” This is actually a borrowed practice, which I saw in Homen Borgohain’s residence. He used to be my idol once.

Bhagat’s book is a campus story. I have read many books like that. It’s no doubt a comfortable reading and deserves to be a best-seller, though good marketing boosted its sell. The book reminded me of two earlier books I have read in my mother tounge-Cotton College and Seemanta. If these two books are translated and properly marketed, they may also turn best-seller!

Another Assamese book, which can surely become a best-seller, is Anuradhar Desh. But, the translator must be good enough to capture the mood of the book. I think the appeal of the book lies in the mood and treatment of the story. After Janhu Baruah, someone may try a commercial Hindi movie, with Anuradhar Desh as the story. I’m sure it will be a big hit. Imagine Shah Rukh Khan playing the role of Arunav!

This may be a wild imagination, but I have another wish unfulfilled and it seems it’s going to turn a wild fantasy soon. After two consecutive victories over the Lankans and the selectors in no mood to bring him back, will Team India seek Ganguly’s service again? Will I ever see Dada dancing down the crease and hitting those huge sixes?

We all know a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Immediately after passing out from primary school when I started reading voraciously everything available in our personal library-from Assamese novels, megazines(from Ramdhenu to Pashek)to Greek epics and Sanskrit plays(ofcourse in translation!)-at an age when I didn't have even vague notion about choosing a career and making a living, I dreamed of becoming a good translator, simply because there were so many good stories in Assamese.If Hardy's Return of the native can be a world classic,why can't Malik's Surujmukhir Swapna be a world classic? Dhrubajyoti Bora's Kalantarar Gadya,Harekrisna Deka and Arupa Patangia Kalita's short stories are some of the names one can quickly recall that can be masterpieces if translated properly.We need some dedicated translators.But thanks to our education system, persons with excellent command over both English and Assamese along with an artistic mind have become rare to find.

9:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home