.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: New Delhi, Delhi, India

Monday, October 24, 2005

I miss those evenings

Today, I was dying to sit near a river and listen to flute. Unfortunately, there’s no river here in Delhi and my wish remained unfulfilled. I do not consider Yamuna as a river, at least, not in Delhi. It’s simply a dirty drain.

Since my childhood, I have read and heard a lot about Yamuna. I thought it would be wonderful river, which would tell me the history of Delhi. It never did. I felt like crying the day I saw Yamuna for the first time in Delhi. I felt betrayed.

Though, I belong to the land where the mighty Brahmmaputra flows, I grew up with a small river flowing quietly near my home. It used to be my best friend, especially during my adolescences. I got to see Brahmmaputra once or twice in the year till I reached college. During college days, our gang of six used to spend our evenings on the bank of the son of Brahmma.

We used to go there whenever we were depressed and there were enough reasons to be sad. She did not smile at me today, end of the month and start of bankruptcy, magazines rejecting our attempts to become 21st century Shelly and Keats…it could be anything. And the mighty river listened to all our grievances. It never uttered a single word, but said a lot of things. We used to feel elated, many a time felt like giving it a hug…laughed at ourselves and came back happily.

I miss Tihu and Brahmmaputra.

It’s often said civilizations are formed around a river. Is Delhi going to die as Delhites are so busy killing Yamuna?

I don’t know.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

good thought! we should all do something to preserve our nature.....not only for the obvious reason....but also to give inspiration to poets.......hhhhhhmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

8:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote some poems when I was young, some of them were ok, some of them very naive...regarding the charme of a river, I agree...I live in a city with no river but when I travel in places with one I find myself staring at water flowing, it's peaceful and powerful at the same time, a sintesys of life...

7:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari your friend said..that this happens in so many big cities that seem to only get bigger and bigger and we lose our nature and what gives us our breath of life. What will happen to us all when the trees are gone ? Who will be breathing then ???

3:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i appreciate your feeling for youth, love , romance, brahmaputra, and ofcourse assam. i myself is an assamese . miss assam very often.
biplab

4:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home