.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: New Delhi, Delhi, India

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A funny yet significant phenomenon

I do not know how many of you follow talent hunt shows on TV. I sincerely followed the first Indian Idol, but there was a reason behind it. During that time I was going through a very bad phase and I used the drama of Indian Idol as an addictive. I used to soak myself in the anxiety of the participants and forget mine. I hate to think of my own problems and luckily I always come out of crunch situations very comfortably. Interestingly, I had predicted that Abhijit will become Indian Idol after the final eleven was declared and it came true. I always wanted the fall of Rahul Vaidya and it happened. I wish my predictions about myself also come true.

By the end of Indian Idol my fortune changed and I was again back to my happy-go-lucky days. Then came Fame Gurukool and I never had time and inclination to watch that show. However, media reports about Qazi intrigued me and watched some of the episodes of the show. I admit Qazi sings very bad, but I wanted him to win after I saw him first time. Though the other singers sang well, they were somehow taking them too seriously. On the other hand this Kashmiree guy was blunt and carefree. Besides I love Kashmiree people and you realize that my sister’s name is Kashmiree.

I guess I watched one or two episodes of Fame Gurukool, but followed it on newspapers. Being a journalist I could not escape discussion on it in the office. Then came Sa Re Ga Ma 2005. I had not watched a single episode of this programme till I went home in the first week of January. I was amused to see the front pages of Assamese dailies flooded with the story of Debojit Saha, a Bengali guy from Assam. I was more intrigued when I saw AASU taking up the issue. We all know there has always been tension between Barak Valley and Brahmmaputra Valley. But one Debojit Saha erased everything. Today entire Assam is voting for Debojit in the show.

I understand the mechanics behind this reality shows and how they are manipulated. Even then Sa Re Ga Ma has done a great thing to Assam. For one Debojit we became united to fight against the other contestants from other parts of India. We did not care if he is Assamese or not. This is really inspiring. I know there may be vested interests like cell phone operators working behind it. But the fact remains that if needed we can stand united.

And see the power of unity. Debojit has again got maximum votes and beaten his nearest rival by 10 lakh votes. It’s not Assam vs India; it’s unity vs diversity. It’s the power of passion. For many it may be a too trivial issue to get united, but this can be a beginning. Let’s cash in on the goodwill generated by this funny but significant phenomenon.

Let’s stand united for a greater Assam, a better Assam.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aruni Kashyap said...

When I went back to Assam during the winter break this time the story of Debojit's popularity level triggred by the fact that he belonged to the North East and more specifically to Assam occupied the front pages.What wa striking is the fact that people even generated forwards like 'plese vote for Debojit' and send this at least five people and all which ahd an enourmous response.Sad that I couldn't watch those programmes.

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home